Friday, March 28, 2008

Crafting on the cheap part 1:jewelry

One of the main reasons why I decided to buy handmade and make handmade as well was that in high school. If I had went out to the mall or any other hip store and bought a necklace or earrings. The meanest girl in my school would have the same pair on the next day. Not to forget at my junior prom I had spent a $100 on this Gothic style dress only to show up and see another girl with the same dress.
So I took action and started putting together jewelry with my own personal touch to it. My Mom at the time had started making her own jewelry to go with clothing she would wear to work. From my Mom I had learned the basic steps and tips of jewelry making. Which I must share with everyone who reads this blog.

Tips for tools:
Now don't be that person who is stuck in the jewelry section of your craft store wondering where the hell to begin. Then out of nowhere when trying to find tools but become shocked at the price.

You will only need two tools to help you in making whatever you want without having to face the craft store.
All you have to do is go to your local hardware store.

Needle nose pliers come in many sizes and help with moving and bending wire as well as open and close jump rings.


Wire cutters these work well with removing extra wire or metal from your project.


The only tool I suggest you buy from the craft store is a clasp crimp when you want to make necklaces.


www.manabeads.com shows a easy tutorial on how to close the ends of your necklace.

Supplies:
When it comes to supplies there are many resources for finding supplies. If you plan on just making projects for yourself and others as gifts and what not.
Then the craft store sells different types of findings and in small amounts.

Now if you plan on opening an online store or produce a large amount. Then the best suppliers is ebay.com or etsy.com. Along with many other websites depending on amount and shipping. You'll get a bang for your buck.

No comments: